Monday, September 28, 2009

Chai's Thai

Chai's Thai barely shows up in google...I couldn't find their website....we struggled with parking...the place is tiny....but man oh man it is full of flavor!! I love trying new things, but we went in a touch suspicious and ended up happily surprised by the bright green walls, white accents and hip furniture.

To start, we ordered spring rolls (we are daredevils, eh?!) and they were amazing. Watch out, Tum Rup Thai- these have more flavor and better dipping sauces. YUM.

For dinner, I order Pad Thai- extra spicy (Traditional Thai noodles, green onions, bean sprouts and crushed peanuts with shrimp and chicken), which came with chicken AND shrimp....already off to a nice start! The presentation of the food was beautiful- the noodles were on a large banana leaf on top of a very cool glass plate. The spice level and flavor really wowed me. I drank TONS of water and diet coke while I ate (more than normal for people that know me). I absolutely can't wait to sweat and sniffle through my leftovers tomorrow.

My dining companions both had Panang Curry with chicken- medium spicy (Chicken or beef in Thai red curry and coconut milk with fresh basil, chilies and other herbs). They absolutely loved it and were almost to the point of licking their plates...I thought it was good- nice and thick curry is my favorite- but a touch sweeter than I prefer. The staff was very accommodating and willingly added vegetables for my health-crazed gal pals.


Although I usually pass on dessert at Thai restaurants, the presentation at a nearby table was so enticing we decided to go for dessert. Based on the server's recommendation we tried Sticky Rice with Mangoes (I felt like I was back in Thailand- rice for dessert!). This dish was delicious- sweet and warm with a touch of coconut milk drizzled on top. Chai's Thai is worth it just for the dessert.

Decor: tiny, but very hip and welcoming
Prices: below average (meals $9- $15)
Spice level: I was sucking on ice....loved it!

More information:

Chai's Thai
414 1/2 Cedar Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN

www.chaisthai.com

PS they have a sister restaurant in St. Paul- I'm excited!

Chai's Thai on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment