Saturday, October 10, 2009

Sawatdee Bar & Cafe

Sawatdee Bar & Cafe was full of disappointment as I tried to celebrate a birthday and hopefully future engagement of one of my favorite dining companions. I promise as part of this journey to try the other locations and go back to this location a few more times, but I am definitely not looking forward to it.

I chose to order Kapi Thai Rice with tofu (Aromatic fried rice with shrimp paste, mangoes and green onions. Fresh Thai chilies on the side. Vegetarian, Chicken or Tofu, Shrimp). This dish was marked as *new* online and I thought- shrimp plus mango....that sounds pretty different- let's take it for a whirl. Well, ladies and gentleman, they were out of mango so instead of telling me that, they brought be shrimp paste rice AND there were no chilies on the side. I would compare this to ordering Pad Thai and then when you get it- there aren't any noodles! I mean, shrimp paste and mango- two ingredients, if you're out of one....say something!!! Oh and I said extra spicy and she gave me a judging look like "yeah, you can't handle our extra spicy." Well listen up- that wasn't spicy!!

My dining companion ordered Rice Noodle Soup (Chicken or Tofu, Beef, Shrimp) and she loved it. She asked for them to add vegetables and they did a really good job with that direction- cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, etc. Unfortunately she has a cold and I wasn't willing to risk it to taste it, so we will take her review!

After we had started our meals, voila!, our appetizer arrived (yeah, we were confused too). Either I'm really over spring rolls, or these were just super boring. We had Sawatdee spring rolls (Two Beef-filled spring rolls stuffed with silver-thread noodles, Chinese mushrooms, carrots & bean sprouts).

I left Sawatdee Bar & Cafe completely unsatisfied. I am so disappointed.

Decor: Fine- definitely a bar layout
Prices: average ($10-$15)
Spice level: blah

More information:

Sawatdee Bar & Cafe
118 N. 4th Street
Minneapolis, MN 55401

www.sawatdee.com

1 comment:

  1. I have to say I have also been extremely disappointed with Sawatdee. Not authentic, not spicy, poor service, and bland food. There is so much better in the Twin Cities!

    ReplyDelete