Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Ban Thai

My mouth is still tingling...mmm

I was excited to try Ban Thai in White Bear Lake. I've seen very mixed reviews on the restaurant; positive from Lazy Lightning and negative from Twin Cities Restaurant Blog. I also tried to go there once already, to find it closed due to a death in the family.

Based on their cute website, the restaurant was what I expected- a small, family owned business. I was eager to see if the owner (who is Thai) would be our server, but instead we got her husband! His knowledge of the menu and different dishes was impressive.

When I arrived, my dining companion had already ordered Fried Wontons with cream cheese (Deep-fried wonton stuffed with cream cheese, pork or shrimp. Served with Ban Thai's own homemade sweet and sour sauce) and Veggie Egg Rolls (For the veggie lover. Stuffed with fresh cabbage, mushrooms, carrots,eggs, onions and mungbean thread noodles. Lightly deep-fried). Both of these dishes were fine, but nothing super memorable. I don't think Ban Thai's sweet and sour sauce tasted any different than normal sweet and sour. We were off to a slow start, but not for long!

My dining companion decided to order Gang Panang Curry with chicken (A thicker variety of red curry with ground peanut and sweet basil) since we've been to Big Bowl together several times and I regularly order Panang Curry. I was absolutely blown away. This was definitely the best Panang Curry I've ever tasted...I had several bites of hers and could have easily eaten the whole thing...what a surprise!

I've had Thai food the last two days, so I was yearning for something a little different. I decided to try Laab Moo (A favorite in Northern Thailand. Coarsely ground pork marinated in a spicy combination of Thai peppers, limejuice, onion, fresh mint, green onion, cilantro and roasted rice powder. Served on a bed of lettuce and cucumbers. Served with an order of sticky rice to complete the experience) based on the interesting description and the server's suggestion. I ordered a spice level 3 (out of 4) and he seemed nervous for me. This was one of the best meals I've had since I started this blog- absolutely perfect! He was right about the spice level- I might not have been able to eat the meal if it was a 4! The 3 had me with a bit of a runny nose, burning mouth and tingly lips- LOVE IT!!

Overall, the experience at Ban Thai was thrilling and memorable...I can't wait to visit the cute couple who own this place again soon!

Decor: fine
Price: normal ($10-15)
Spice level: HOT!!!

For more information:

Ban Thai
2186 3rd Street
White Bear Lake, MN 55110

www.banthaionline.com

Ban Thai on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment