Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Ginger Hop

Yawn…

I was excited to try Ginger Hop, which recently opened in Northeast Minneapolis, after hearing rave reviews from one of my favorite dining companions. Although the overall presentation of food was good, the meal was quite boring.

To start, we ordered Shrimp Spring Rolls (fresh spring rolls with shrimp, mint and basil, served with peanut dipping sauce), which were by far the most boring spring rolls I’ve ever had in my life (check the blog- I eat spring rolls often!). I thought they would be saved by peanut dipping sauce, but alas the sauce was basically oil with pieces of peanut and had no flavor. We also ordered Walleye Satay (beer battered and deep fried, served with wasabi tartar sauce), which was awesome. This was the true winner of our meal! The wasabi tartar sauce….sooo good!

One of my dining companions ordered Basil Stir Fry with chicken (Broccoli, red pepper, shitake mushrooms, onion, garlic and Thai basil in a flavorful oyster sauce with your choice of chicken or tofu). Although the presentation was good, the dish was pretty bland. I guess that’s all I have to say about that…


Two of us ordered Sweet Green Curry with chicken (Green curry and coconut milk with red pepper, eggplant, peas and your choice of chicken or tofu). We chose to order this because it was highly recommended by the waitress. I was a little skeptical from the start because I couldn’t choose a spice level…I have NEVER been somewhere that said the dish comes one spice level…that REALLY annoyed me! I asked for a spice tray and she seemed to think we wouldn’t need it, but we both did! Although we both ate most of the dish, the chicken was SUPER weird and we both barely touched it. YUCK! Overall, the curry was nice and creamy, but was definitely lacking in flavor. Luckily, we were starving and willing to eat just about anything (but the chicken!!!)

All in all, I was pretty disappointed AND bored. I’ll go back, but I’m skeptical of this whole “East meets Northeast” thing.

Decor: chic
Prices: average ($10-15)
Spice level: BOO!

More information:

Ginger Hop
201 E Hennepin Ave
Minneapolis, MN 55414

www.gingerhop.com

Ginger Hop on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment