Sunday, December 27, 2009

Taste of Thailand- St. Paul

Va-va voom!!

After a so-so experience at Taste of Thailand- Downtown Minneapolis, I warned my dining companion that I wasn't sure how this would be (she is one of my regulars, so I wasn't worried about her feelings!). This Taste of Thailand was WAY different from the one in downtown Minneapolis. We had an awesome dinner! We started with Special Spring Rolls (The best spring roll in the Twin Cities made even better with lettuce, bean sprouts, carrots, cilantro, shrimp, pork, rice noodles and three different types of fresh mint wrapped in rice paper and served with a delicious sauce- and always fresh!) I was definitely skeptical about these being the best spring rolls (I've seen that tag line once or twice...) but I have to say these were the best I've had to date. You could definitely taste the mint and we loved the rolls and the delicious peanut sauce.

For dinner, my dining companion strayed from her regular Pad Thai and ordered Pra Ram Long Song with chicken (Another Twin Cities favorite, this traditional Thai dish feautres a mild peanut curry sauce over steamed spinach). I was so proud of her for trying something new, especially since she was unsure of the spinach. She loved the dish and I also thought it was excellent. The peanut sauce was perfection!!

I ordered Vegetarian Red Curry (Tofu and red curry in coconut milk with broccoli, carrots, green beans, napa cabbage, potatoes, pea pods and jumbo onions) because I was really feeling like some vegetables after all of the delicious (but unhealthy) holiday food. This dish was absolutely perfect. I have a rule that I only take leftovers when it is just about the best thing I've ever tasted...and I took leftovers! The flavor was rich, but not overpowering and the vegetables were delicious!!! (the carrots and green beans could have used one more minute cooking!)

For dessert, we had to try Buttercup Squash with Custard. I love Thai custard and had ever seen butternut squash on any menu so obviously I was intrigued. Even though my dining companion and I were full, we enjoyed the dessert a lot. What is it about Thai custard that makes me weak in the knees?!

Overall, I am so excited to have tried another Taste of Thailand!!! So far St. Paul is shaping up to have the best Thai food...

Decor: strip mall-ish
Prices: average ($10-15)
Spice level: absolutely perfect

More information:

Taste of Thailand
1671 Selby Ave
St Paul, MN 55104


Taste of Thailand on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment