Sunday, January 24, 2010

Chiang Mai Thai

This past weekend, I went with a nice sized group to Chiang Mai Thai. Although I've been there several times before, this was my native voyage as a blogess. We started with appetizers that were both pretty good- Fresh Springrolls (Rice paper rolls stuffed with noodles, lettuce, cilantro and bean sprouts with curried beef) and Happy Shrimp (Six coconut and tempura battered shrimp, deep fried to a golden brown) and of course, a couple of bottles of wine.

I knew before we arrived that I would order Pad See Yew (Rice noodles or egg noodles stir fried with egg, broccoli, napa cabbage, soy sauce, garlic and spices). A few years back, I ordered this dish to split with a friend and we ordered a 3 out of 4 for spice. It was so insanely hot that we couldn't eat it and they had to remake it (we felt HORRIBLE!). Now that I've been exposed to a lot more heat, I love spicy so I ordered this dish as a 4. The waitress seemed uncertain, but I had to do it!! I am so glad I did since it was absolutely delicious. The flavor was right on and so was the spice- I was quite impressed.

The rest of the table pretty much stuck to curry- Panang, Massamun and Sweet Green Curry, all of which tasted like heaven to me. I was genuinely impressed with the night, but because of the chic atmosphere, it just doesn't feel that traditional to me.

Decor: really nice- great for a date!
Price: average ($10-$15)
Spice level: right on!

For more information:

Chiang Mai Thai
3001 Hennepin Avenue S
Minneapolis, MN 55408

www.chiangmaithai.com

Chiang Mai Thai on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment